Voter Requirements

To register to vote the following requirements must be met:

  1. You must be a U.S. citizen and a Kentucky resident for at least 28 days.
  2. You must be 18 years of age by the date of the next general election which is held on the first Tuesday following the first Monday in November.
  3. You are eligible to register and vote in the May primary election if you will be 18 before the general election, but you are not eligible to vote in Special Elections between the May primary and November General election.
  4. You cannot be a convicted felon. If you have been convicted of a felony, you must have your civil rights restored before registering.
  5. You must not have been judged mentally incompetent in a court of law.
  6. You must not claim the right to vote outside the State of Kentucky.

If you meet the above requirements, you may register to vote by completing a voter registration card and submitting it to the County Clerk’s Office. You may contact the Clerk’s office and have a card mailed to you or you may download a copy from Each voter must designate a party affiliation in order to register to vote. Party designations accepted in Kentucky are: Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Green, Constitution, Reform, Socialist Workers or Independent. Since Kentucky conducts closed party primaries, you must be registered as Democrat or Republican to vote in that party’s primary election. If you are registered as Other, you are eligible to vote for only nonpartisan offices (judicial, city commission, school board) in any primary election. You may vote for any candidate in all general elections. You may change your political party affiliation at any time after the May primary but before December 31st to remain eligible to vote in the following primary election. Other places where cards or forms are available:

  • Circuit Clerk’s Office (Drivers Licensing)-When applying for or renewing driver’s license
  • AFDC, Food Stamp, Medicaid, WIC and State-funded offices serving those with disabilities
  • Armed Forces Recruitment Offices, if you are a prospective member of armed forces
  • High School students may register at school
  • Federal mail-in registration form

Voter registration or changes must be made no later than 28 days prior to each election. After your registration is processed, you will receive a notification listing your address and the location of your polling place.